Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 216: Maybe we Need an Anchor

I am having one of the most fun, frenetic, months of my life and yet it is also a time of deep reflection and self-realization. It seems odd that such different avenues could convene in a single short time span, but I guess I'm just a skilled multi-tasker. Because I am prone to self-analysis, however, in the midst of all the joy and discovery I am left wondering what the genesis of this productive month might be. 

The easy answer is that Jeff is home after a year of deployment, but if that is true what does it say about me? Do I need a partner to be fulfilled? There is a part of me that wants to be the romantic, believer of soul mates, but the truth is more complicated. I am not a more fulfilled person because I am not alone, I am more fulfilled because my life is no longer on hold. 

Of course I love that he's home and it has definitely made me happy, but the better part is no longer putting my life on hold. I wasn't free to live as a solitary individual. My decisions still affected another person and yet that person was not here to share the burdens. I had all the pressures of a relationship, but not many of the benefits. So no, it is not simply his return. 

Happiness and self-discovery are never one dimensional issues. My own journey is benefitting from a certain relief now that my partner is home. I think it most likely that it is only through a relaxed and calmed mental outlook that we experience inner growth. So yes, in a way I needed Jeff to be home to get straight, but he is not the cure, he's not the clarity, he's my anchor that prevents me from ever straying into dangerous waters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment