Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 244: Is it Possible to Disagree on Facebook and Not be a Villain?

Facebook is many things, it a social networking site, facilitator for organizing reunions and parties, and a means of reconnecting with old and almost forgotten friends. It’s a medium for keeping friends and acquaintances tuned in to what we are doing in our everyday and work lives. Sometimes we use it to announce special projects or performances, collect charity donations or to promote social causes. As a political person I am unafraid of a good in-depth discussion and it neither bothers me to divulge my own political leanings, nor to discover those of my FB friends. What I notice more and more as we all become too familiar with one another, is that people are taking offense at the discovery of differences in opinions. Why, I wonder, are people getting so up in arms at a differing political opinion on FB?

I have been a victim of this type of virtual attack on more than one occasion. I suppose that my openness to discuss such issues is partially to blame. If you post something political or regarding a public figure in politics then I am going to assume that is an invitation to discuss. Otherwise, why would you make it public in the first place? There are things that I do not want you to debate or weigh in on and those things will not grace my own FB page. Everything else is fair game as far as I’m concerned and if you want to debate, negate or corroborate I’m cool with it. Others do not seem to be as open to a dialogue about what they post on their page, but since it is a public forum with a list of friends extending to those they barely know, perhaps it is the wrong place to announce their most sacred and private beliefs.

There are rules and I play by them. Just because you post a photo of your child who is funny looking does not mean I am going to tell you the kid resembles “Sloth” from the Goonies. Nor will I insult you or your lifestyle. Comments regarding public figures, political parties, social causes, etc., should be open to discussion. Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I am right or you are wrong, it simply means we disagree; that’s still allowed in the states, correct? A public discussion regarding a political or public figure posted on a public site should not necessitate anyone calling someone else’s intelligence into question or insulting them outright with name calling. Since when did feeling comfortable utilizing the freedom of speech guaranteed us by our nation become a crime? You are free to disagree with me, I’m okay with that. The real question, is why aren’t you?

1 comment:

  1. human beings, especially in the US are so consumed with their own opinions. Many people - especially religious people - don't beleive that anyone can be right besides them. Thus fights ensue. I wish we could be a nation not based on religion, but rather freedom of speech and thought. However, we are far from that. sad.

    ReplyDelete