Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day 76: In Tribute to My Mother

I was going to write about my weird church outing today, but I think I need a day or so to ruminate on that one. Instead, I am going to briefly touch on an emotional topic, so forgive me if I bleed all over you. Today is the anniversary of my Mother’s death and while I know my Grams never fails to remember, oddly enough, I often do. I suppose I prefer to celebrate her life, but also, a day never goes by that I do not think of her in some way, so I don’t need a single day to remind me of what I lost and the wonderful person I had a chance to love.

Anyway, short and sweet tonight. My Mother was a kind, generous, sensitive woman who never said a bad word about anyone and believed in being a lady – something I vehemently opposed ever being. She was also the strongest person I’ve ever known in many ways and yet extremely cautious and fearful in others. She was a real person full of flaws and contradictions, but mostly love. Today I celebrate this woman who was taken from my family and me far too soon. I have long stopped believing in God and a hereafter, but I do know that my Mother’s love an spirit live within me and it is to that part her that I talk when I need advice or feel particularly down. She is also with me every time I bake, an activity she taught me to love, listen to country music and decorate at Christmas.

Here’s to you Mom. I miss you every day. You didn’t swear, drink or argue -- clearly I am adopted! Even so, you taught me to love and to laugh and that will live within me until I too am just a series of memories in another’s lifetime. In love and remembrance, Amy Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment