Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day 164: Yeah, That's Totally on my List

I am a list maker. If there is something to be done or planned concerning my house, job, diet, exercise, holiday, vacation or life then I have surely made a list for it. I cover details and often will even put a timeline to it. Making lists is one way that feel like I have accomplished something. That is to say that a list is an organizational process forcing you to focus on what needs to be done and laying out a plan of attack for completing all of those tasks. There’s just one problem with my obsession with lists: I’m not so much a list completer.

Completing jobs added to a list takes effort and generally time away from pleasurable activities. Making the list itself is pretty much my work part of obligation. I clearly define what needs to be done and even sometimes at what point it would be ideal to do so, but then once the lists are organized I feel the need the need to order a pizza or go for a drive. I realize there is a slight flaw in my logic which leads to absolutely nothing ever being accomplished except for my recognition of what should in fact, be accomplished. I’m not saying it’s a perfect system, it’s still a work in progress, perhaps I’ll add it to a list.

I realize that for most people it is the checking off of “to do” items that gives them the sense of satisfaction. I simply cut out the middle and get the pleasure and satisfaction from the list itself. I seriously advise that you try it. You may notice an increase in chaos and lack of career accomplishment, but that just gives you another list to make and really, isn’t being aware of the problems the most important part? When things get to be too overwhelming for lack of anything being done, simply go shopping, out to lunch or for a drive. You will clear your head and be ready to tackle the creation of another list cataloging what else has gone wrong. It’s a beautiful system really, it’s just that one little snag of actual progress that keeps it from being perfect. Oh well, I’ll make a list of things I can do to fix it later. Right now I need to find some wine, I think I had it on a list to buy some.

No comments:

Post a Comment