Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 225: Please Don't Take My Sunshine Away

I find it disturbing when my positive role models express self-doubt. These uber chipper, positive people can be annoying to be sure, but they also provide the yin to my yang and I find their existence comforting. My schtick has always been that I am a moody, sarcastic, self-deprecating person who accepts that true happiness isn’t for me and life gives you lots of lemons, but so what, suck it up and deal. That persona takes it for granted that there are counterparts out there who are able to look at any situation or hardship and put a positive spin on it – or at the very least, maintain a positive focus. When those people start to doubt their impact or their sunny side up gets scrambled I find myself a little off kilter.

We all need those happy people that don’t see problems, they see new challenges or half full glasses or whatever the hell happy, positive, chipper people see. I feel like we maintain a delicate balance and if the “aren’t Monday’s great” crowd gets off the teeter totter the rest of us have no chance of rising to the top. I take my negativity in stride and try to make it a joke, but what truly keeps me from getting lost in my own self-pity, worry and cynical outlook is the knowledge that those pesky . . . I mean perky people are out there.

What makes someone is normally so up on life’s blessings doubt him or herself? Whatever it is, you need to snap out of it and get back to being cheerful. I need you to provide the positivity I cannot muster on my own. Without it, my funny cynic routine doesn’t work, it just makes me look sad and depressed. I don’t know what specifically might cause the change, but you need to know that you do make a difference and that I need you. Life is about balance and your place in that equation is the reason we all keep looking for the sun to come up the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment