Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 238: Why Spending Money on Stupid Things is Sometimes a Good Idea

There was time when money was not much of an issue, but that was before. Money is an issue now and yet I find myself unable to be completely thrifty. We are lucky that Jeff is employed in a recession proof job, but it would be nice if I were motivated enough to take whatever crap job I can get, but who am I kidding, I’m not. Still, we’re not exactly poor and neither of us are inclined to spend money on extravagant items, but we never skimp on food or wine or travel. I’m also fond of blowing money on silly things for sentimental reasons. Sure, we could be economical and watch every penny like some people have to do, but that’s not who we are and luckily we’re not in a position that we have to.

So why spend fifty dollars on a coffee mug with Jeff’s official Army photo on it? Well, because he hated the photo and hates that kind of memorabilia and I knew it would make him laugh. Why spend almost two hundred dollars on a cat tower? Because they will enjoy it. Why spend money we should use for bills on a holiday weekend getaway? Because it will be fun and we need it. People spend money on all sorts of things, but primarily on bills, mortgage payments or rent, food, etc. For many, there is nothing left after the necessities get paid and some months not even those. What kind of life is it when there is never anything leftover?

I watched my Mother work her whole life just to make the minimum payments on her bills. She never had the luxury of spending way too much for something stupid like a personalized coffee mug. There is freedom in doing something like that. I may not be able to buy the Jaguar I’ve always wanted or spend a month in Africa, but I can buy a bottle of wine that should be out of my price range or drop a couple hundred on dinner. A life of all sacrifice robs us of joy. Your children need to see that you are capable of having fun and that sometimes it’s okay to be frivolous. While it is certainly true that I can afford an indulgence without risking missing a rental payment there is not a huge safety net there. For me, it’s more important to enjoy life while I have the chance and maybe save just a little bit less. As it turns out, the husband agrees, that overpriced joke of a coffee mug is his favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment