Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 239: I Want to be a Foreigner

I want to live somewhere else. Not just another city, because that will likely happen in the next 2-3 years, no I want to live out of country. I admit I’m not really a patriot, but I certainly enjoy the freedoms of the US and since the husband is an Army guy, he definitely likes it here. Still, I have always wanted to live somewhere else and I’m not entirely sure why. The subject came up unexpectedly when Jeff recently asked where I see myself living when we’re older. He’s thinking somewhere exotic like Key West and I’m thinking a tropical island, village in France or coastal town in Spain. Clearly there’s trouble brewing in the Bramline household, but I figure I’ve got a good chance of coming out on top.

If I had to nail down a real reason I’m not looking to live here long-term I’d say it has to do with the American arrogance. We are so isolated from the world and there is this sense that we are the center of the universe. We don’t speak other languages, we don’t travel much abroad, we tend not to appreciate the opportunity to learn other cultures, we just want to be us and stay us no matter what. When I travel, I like to hang with locals and blend a bit. I stop being as picky as I normally am and live by the “when in Rome” philosophy. The world is so full of life and diversity and I want to experience as much of it as I can.

Diversity is not something we really get here in the states. We have racial diversity, sure, but I’m not talking color, I speak of culture. We are so obsessed with white and black and brown here, but we’re basically the same culture despite our ever present bigotry. The concept of diverse cultures does not speak to race, and that is where we as Americans lose our way. I suppose it’s not our fault, we just are not often exposed to diversity outside of our racial definitions and that is to our detriment. I’m not saying I am the most open minded of people, I judge just like anyone else, but I want my prejudice to be based on the annoying food of Germans, the lack of suitable laundry facilities in Italy, and the gross habit of washing your hair and dishes on the streets in Vietnam. I don’t care that they’re Asian or black or ginger kids, I care about practicalities, food, behavior and kindness. I can’t promise never to judge, I just won’t do it based on the narrow definitions of what most Americans deem to be cultural diversity.

1 comment:

  1. I had a really interesting "Hmmmm..." moment this year. You know we moved to West Virginia-- appalachia country this year. And this might just be the one place where being from Fort Wayne seems 'cooler'. Didn't know that was a possibility! But honestly, in the year we have been here, we have met more people of similar values and goals than we ever knew in our broad social circle 'back home'. We fit really well here (with the people we like...not the ones we don't...don't get me wrong)

    My epiphany came as we were walking over the New River Gorge Bridge on Bridge Day, and taking in the crowds. I found myself getting annoyed at how STUPID the local accent sounds. I mean seriously, I'm fine with a southern drawl, but the name Ben does NOT have three syllables, and most sentences are not questions and should therefore not be finished with a lifting tone.

    But then it hit me. If I was walking in a foreign country, listening to the locals speak during a town festival, I would probably not label the flavor of what I am hearing as stupid and uneducated. I doubt that the general masses of individuals who participate in community customs in any country are inherently intelligent and balanced in their opinions and life philosophies. As a matter of fact, anywhere you go, a festival crowd probably contains a fairly predictable ratio of people: local working families of all generations, small business owners and venders who count on attendance and sales as a large part of their income, travelers drawn the the events, and your typical wierdos.

    I think we as American's judge others for judging us in a never ending cycle of dog-chase-tail, and this game is created and played by mostly the news media ( all media all over the world), who choose to portray whatever suites their agenda and sells advertising. But the sum of American culture is not an average or median phenomenon that can measured and packaged by any press. America is filled with wonderful, intelligent, educated and planet conscious people. And so are many other countries. America also has it's fair share of religious radicals, prejudice, uneducated, beligerant and selfish people, but I'd be willing to bet that they are found all over the world, even in quaint, seaside villages.

    ReplyDelete