Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 257: Good Ahead, Be a Douche

Sometimes you can’t help being a dick. We all have an inner douche just waiting for the right excuse to get out and be obnoxious. For me, this isn’t really all that rare of an occurrence. I am a moody person and about 50% of the time the mood is bitchy, mean or douchey. I don’t know how those super nice people manage to always be super nice. Personally, if I am not a bitch on at least a semi-frequent basis I get a headache from trying to keep it inside. Does it mean other people are happier than me? Maybe, or perhaps it’s just that they are better at hiding their feelings than I am. If that’s case, I’m not sure that’s actually better.

Sure, being nice means other people are more comfortable, but if you constantly hide or bury your own feelings for the sake of others it might actually be unhealthy for you. I’m the kind of person that will get pissed off, admit it, slam a door and then feel better ten minutes later. I don’t let things build up generally, I confront, address, bitch, then move on and it’s kept me relatively healthy emotionally. I might joke about being unhappy and having multiple personalities, but I think I am actually pretty balanced and in the end, I am able to let things go that others cling to.

The husband is one of those people that won’t always own up to being upset about something. He’ll pretend whatever it is does not bother him, all is well and he’ll keep doing it for as long as possible until one day whammo! All that mental and emotional baggage needs an escape hatch and suddenly something that isn’t a big deal seems like one because he’s actually been carrying around anger or disappointment from the last six months. I say screw it, get it out, acknowledge that we all have different trigger points and tolerances. If you talk about the little things, then they never accidentally become big things and the real big things can be dealt with on their own merits.

I might be bitchy and temperamental and not the most easy-going person, but you always know where you stand with me and if you piss me off or do something I don’t like I’ll tell you. I take the guesswork out of relationships and on a certain level that is a really good thing. We all have a temper and at times we are going to redline, the best thing you can hope for is a quick turnaround and the ability to not drag the past and other transgressions into it. Keep your shit to what’s relevant, so try to be a douche more often and life might actually run a bit more smoothly for you. It won’t make you as many friends on the outset and people won’t think you’re super swell and awfully nice, but you’ll not be crying yourself to sleep as much. Get the angst out people, you’ll sleep better for it, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment