Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 195: Stripped Down: My Thoughts on the Pole

So I'm at a strip club on a Saturday night with my husband. Not really sure what else there is to say about that. I actually like strip clubs, it is a safe environment when you are a woman. No one is looking at me, and if someone is, most likely it is a woman. So there is a bit of a safety net in that. The husband is entertained, I can relax with a drink and there is a show. What could be better?

Strip clubs are weird things. On one hand, as a woman I do not want to subjugate a fellow sister, but at the same time I am paying for it, so you better fucking work. I want dancing, not that super slow-mo gyration and I always appreciate the girls that can do inverted splits on a pole. It is a free economy and no one is forcing anyone to strip, so should you choose it, then I am going to expect to get my money’s worth. For the record, I am also not opposed to prostitution and think it should be legal. I am a woman and let's be honest, to a certain extent we have all prostituted ourselves in one way or another. This may sound harsh, but even in a marriage you do things for your partner, be it laundry, work, travel, etc., but there is a trade off and a compromise that goes into any successful relationship. You may not call it the same thing, but at heart that’s what it is and every time you fake an orgasm or trade household chores to keep the peace, you are prostituting yourself. Men do it too, though more so in office environments, but in some way we are all whores.

The problem is the way we define whore or prostitute and the judgment we bring to it. It is only a bad thing because we have deemed it as such. We are bartering goods and services, regardless if it is housekeeping, advertising, legal advice, or a blow job. You are paying another person for a service and the only thing that makes one better than the other is our narrow-minded judgment. You don’t have to like it, but why is stripping any less of an honest day’s wage than cleaning teeth?

Right now, I am in the club watching my husband get a lap dance from Kim, the super soft, lovely Vietnamese stripper. She is nice and has been hanging out at our table during the slower periods just to talk. On one hand, it ruins the fantasy, on the other, it totally makes me love my husband more to hear him ask why she got into stripping and about her own blog while she’s sitting on his lap. It kind of makes me wonder who is really being persecuted here. Kim, who is taking off her clothes for money or my husband who feels sorry for her and keeps letting her do “one more” despite not being attracted to her. I’ve sat on a few laps of guys I wasn’t all that fond of and I didn’t get anything out of it but low self-esteem, so as far as I’m concerned, Kim’s way ahead of the game.

1 comment: