Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day 351: . . . Again

I wrote and posted my original day 351 and then did something I’ve never done before, I took it down. Generally, this blog serves as a sort of personal journal for me and my exploration of self-discovery. Sometimes, however, I go a little too far and the other day I crossed a line even I was uncomfortable with. It’s not that anything I write is untrue or that I do not believe is valid, but I do recognize that I’m not always able to adequately convey my true sentiments in my writing. Tone does sometimes get lost in the writing and what is left comes across in a way I never intended.

This is what separates the good writers. They are able to show the reader what is happening behind the action and plot points. Of course, this is a journal not a story so I do not always aspire to such heights, but I do realize that without proper context, what I write may not accurately reflect the truth. My habit has always been to trust that as long as what I write is the truth there is validity in it, but I suppose even I have limits.

Consequently, I am taking a few days to reflect on what I’ve written, what I’ve learned and where I want to go. The blog will be officially over in two weeks and I want to make sure that I have stayed true to my original intent. Therefore, I am taking it a little slower and ensuring that what I write in these final days are words I really want to stand behind. This is the only journal I have ever managed to stay with beyond a few days and I’d like it to be real straight through to the end. Even so, I do realize that just because something is true, that does not mean I should put it out into the world. See, I have a filter . . . sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment