Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 182: I'd Never Trade my Football Friends for Productivity

I love football. I don’t remember when watching football growing up turned into a true passion for me, but somewhere along the line I transitioned from a kid watching with my Pop to a true aficionado. I also love fantasy football. I realize there are more important things I could be doing with my time. I don’t volunteer as much as I should, I still have not started my novel and I’ve pretty much given up on advancing any type of career. Still, football is as much a part of my life as my love of reading, family and baking. It might be considered frivolous by some, but if something gives you joy can it ever truly be worthless?

Football and fantasy fb have not just been an enjoyable hobby, they have brought me closer to my Father, my brother and my husband. I have made friends while watching games that I actually spend time with after the season is over. I realize I’m not building houses for Habitat for Humanity, but the relationships I’ve built are certainly real and that makes even a silly hobby worthwhile. Football is something I look forward to all year, it is the highlight of my holiday season. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s and even my birthday do not bring me nearly the excitement that a single Steelers game does.

I never played sports as a child and to this day I’m not really a team player, preferring to work alone and even many of my recreational activities I do alone. So the football season and smack talking during fantasy match-ups are my major attempts at social interaction. Watching a game in a roomful or stadium full of fans gives a rush you cannot get when you watch alone. I’m sure that had I ever played a team sport as a kid I might be less of a loner, but I can live without the missed socialization. What I cannot imagine living without is the rush of high-fiving a complete stranger after a big play just because we’re both wearing Steelers jerseys.

Yes, I’m basically sitting on my ass, drinking beer, eating unhealthy food and screaming at a TV, but I love it and would not trade it for even the most productive of hobbies. Sometimes you need to give yourself permission to just love what makes you happy. So I’m going to keep sitting on my butt and maybe trade in some other hobbies to make more time for volunteering and writing. Where would I be without all my football buddies. Ben, Tim, Steve, Eric, Amanda, Jen, and those other handful of fans I see and talk to every week without ever knowing their names – these are my friends for at least the next two months and that is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment