Friday, December 4, 2009

Day 187: I Don't Want to be Like the President

Why do we insist on trying to create leaders from people who are just like us? Those people who describe a politician as real, down to earth, reminds me of someone I’d hang out with, etc. are missing the most important point. DO YOU REALLY WANT YOUR DUMBASS NEIGHBOR RUNNING YOUR GOVERNMENT? Sure, they’re nice to have over for a BBQ or at the block party, but Sue and Ed aren’t exactly White House material. I’m sorry Sarah Palin and George Bush Jr. supporters, but the reasons you gave for liking these two politicians are practically a guidebook for what not to vote into office. This is not to say that it is limited to Republicans, there are plenty of stupid Democrats out there as well, these are just the two most recent examples that fit this model. Still don’t get where I’m going with this? Well jump aboard the logic train and I’ll help you figure it out.

I am a smart person. Most of my friends are smart people. Smart is great at a dinner party, but we’re talking about the leader of the free world. Smart isn’t going to cut it, I need you to be really fucking ahead of the curve. How many times in the last decade have you heard candidates for higher offices criticized for being too “ivory tower,” “too smart” or “too contemplative”? Um, it’s kind of an important job, maybe our emphasis should be on finding someone highly intelligent rather than on finding someone who we can relate to. I don’t want to relate to those in charge, I want to believe they are smarter, more educated, more experienced and more worldly than I am. Come on, we’re not talking about running the tailgate; this is slightly more complex. Do you really want your poker buddy to have the nuclear codes?

I do appreciate a politician that is able to put things in terms that might make more sense to me, but there is a line on the folksy down to earth talk. Sure you don’t have to go to Harvard or Princeton, but whatever school you go to, I think you should have an average higher than a C minus. You should also understand the grammatical structure and syntax of our language and perhaps your leadership experience should extend to a population larger than that of the mall on Black Friday. Sure, you could argue that however educated and charismatic you are, committing adultery in the Oval office is not all that bright, but banging a marginally attractive chick does not necessarily negate from your foreign policy experience. Yes I liked Clinton, still like him and love the wife, they are proven leaders with tons of experience. There have also been conservative leaders I respect, but that’s not the point.

What is the point, you ask? Well, it stemmed from a video of a Sarah Palin book signing. I don’t dislike Ms. Palin. She’s a strong, opinionated woman and I dig that, I also think she is actually quite bright and very savvy. The woman has made a career for herself out of nothing, but she has VERY limited actual political experience and that is my main issue with her. Bush Jr. sets off way more alarm bells, but people seem to like these two for the same reasons. The plain speak. It makes those in the middle feel more comfortable and less like they are being talked down to. Well you know what, if you’re the leader of the free world I want you to have to speak down to me for the sheer reason that you are so much more intelligent and politically experienced. Wisdom, experience and education are not bad things. So if you want to chill with me at the bar, have a drink and watch Sportscenter, then you betcha, I’m in. If, however, you want to be President I’m going to need a little more from you.

1 comment:

  1. If lack of experience is a reason to disqualify Bush or Pailn, then you should not have much confidence in our current president. The only practical experience is campaigning for the next higher office.

    ReplyDelete