Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 317: Vote for Me! Vote for Me! (Because Otherwise I Might Not Get Invited)



Have you ever been upset because you weren’t invited to something you had no desire to attend? I think this may be human nature. I know women have the same reaction to men. We want the guy to dig us so we know we’re hot, but he has no chance of scoring. It’s ridiculous and the irony is not lost on me, but that’s not the point. This is what happens when our self-esteem is tied to what others think of us. Luckily for me, I care less and less the older I get, but hell, I’m still human and a chick to boot so I’m not completely immune.

Lately, I have been seriously obsessed with the idea of planning my 20 year high school reunion. Rumor has it that the senior class officers are supposed to do it, but that sounds lame to me (I mean seriously, if you were the class president your senior year, how much fun could your reunion possibly be?). But here’s what pisses me off, we apparently had a 10-year, but no one made a fucking effort to let me know. True I lived in NYC, which is sort of a different country compared to Fort Wayne, IN, but it’s not ACTUALLY a foreign nation. My brother still lives at the same address where we grew up and the phone number is the same even, how hard could it have been to find me?

Still, what’s stupid about this, is that I would have laughed in scorn if anyone actually thought I would have gone. Ten years was not enough time for me to expend all my bitterness at high school. I hated my junior and senior years. People were relentlessly mean, I never had a date, I barely had any friends and I had no one to advocate for me. Where was the guidance counselor that cares about your future or the teacher that takes a special interest? My high school memories are not all that happy, but something happened between the 10 and 20 year anniversaries, I stopped caring about the bad and just want to celebrate the inanity of it all.

Yes, my feelings are a little hurt that I didn’t make the cut for the reunion, but not really. I heard it sucked anyway (seriously, the Marriott three minutes from the school? Lame.). I mean, I’m not bitter, but a reunion planned by me would be so much better. So vote for Ame, because she’ll totally rock this shit! 

2 comments:

  1. I found out about the ten year after it happened. I think it would be fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?!? No one invited you? Hmmm... come to think of it I'm not sure anyone invited me! I vote for you! Let's have the reunion in Europe! :) - Jena

    ReplyDelete