Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 353: Do Something; Be Alive!

I feel overwhelmed by the seriousness of reality. Most people I know are so consumed with simply living their lives, raising their kids and watching crappy reality TV that there is little time to ponder politics, war, environment and animal abuse. I tend to obsess over the issues and global tragedies . . . in between watching crappy TV (though not reality based). It’s overwhelming, this impact that events around the world have the potential to inflict. My life is so insignificant in comparison, but after long periods of alternately obsessing over my own emotional state and the state of the world I really just need some mashed potatoes and a good book.

What is our responsibility in the world? We can’t force other people to be active or to get involved, but we can do everything possible to make them aware. Then again, that can come off as pushy or pompous. I remember what it was to grow up in a household that was so stretched to the limit that there was no room for anything else. My Mother was poor, she worked full time, raised two kids, had a constantly broken down car and felt poorly much of the time. At what point was she supposed to start a letter writing campaign, volunteer, or march on Washington?

I cannot in good conscience call my friends or family willfully ignorant because they make their priorities those issues that affect their daily lives. I do not know what it is to be them or to deal with what they must face. We all have our own path to walk and for some of us that means we will champion causes and action, for others it means writing checks and calling it helping, and for still others it means just getting by the best they can.

The current state of the world is this: worst ecological man-made disaster in history (oil spill), war, terrorism, extreme poverty, starvation, natural disasters, drug cartel violence, humanitarian violations, genocides, child abuse, animal abuse, and on and on. The current state of the average person is work, bills, kids, house, marriage, errands, and very little sleep. There is not much room for overlap in that equation. Do the best that you can. Read the paper or watch real news now and again and try to make an effort to be active in at least one thing that you believe in. We can’t all save the world, I know I can’t, but I can try to make a difference in whatever way fits with my life. The husband goes to war; I protest war. We each do what we feel is best and if we can get every citizen of the world to just champion one cause they feel connected to, it will be enough. Be active. Be aware. Be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment