Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 357: I Don't Have Children so I'm Not Going to Read Their Books

Once again I find myself embroiled in a semi-heated discussion about Harry Potter books and my refusal to read them. The husband has read them, friends have read them, every child on the planet has read them, but no, I will not read them and I am pretty comfortable with that choice despite the, sometimes rabid, praise fans throw at them. I suppose I should back up and state clearly that my refusal to read them has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that I believe that they are, in fact, CHILDREN’S LITERATURE and at last check I am an adult.

I have no problem with the subject matter or storylines. Thanks to the husband’s influence I have seen all the movies and while they continue to perplex and slightly annoy me, they are capable of mindless enjoyment on the big screen. HP can be a fun and whimsical ride, and while I would never choose to watch the movies on my own, I was able to watch them and even like them to a degree. Even so, I am not willing to read the books or to even concede that anyone over the age of 18 should read them.

It’s not going to make you a bad person if you read them. I’m certainly not going to disown my husband or friends for disagreeing with my good taste in reading material, but I’m not going to praise theirs either. My friend asked why I won’t read them and I replied honestly that I am a book snob and do not have the time to read books meant for children. Please do not deny that this is the intended audience. The author herself admits to writing for children. From my viewpoint there are dozens of books being published every week that I will never have the time to read. Books about life, politics, history, issues, as well as quality fiction are out there demanding my attention and I am falling further and further behind.

Reading something frivolous like HP would be a huge waste of time for me, but beyond that I refuse to look past the fact that it is written for children and teens. I have never disputed the fact that it is well-written (so I’ve heard), interesting or entertaining, I dispute that it is written for adults. As much as I enjoyed Sweet Valley High when I was sixteen and know that I would love to catch up with Elizabeth and Jessica, I also know that at 37 there are other books that I want and need to be spending my time on. Not because I am better or smarter, but because I want to and also, I’m a huge book snob!

I have my vices and I’m no better than anyone, but I will not ever concede to reading HP. If I had kids, it would be different, but I do not and will not and so I shall not. If being a book snob is the biggest crime I can commit then I guess I’m not all bad. Life is serious and I understand we all need our “beach read” equivalents, but kid’s lit is not mine. Read it if you like, talk to me about it if you must, but know going in that I will not change my mind. I do consider my books to be “serious literature” and it’s the one thing I am very proud of in my life. I enjoy quality books, both fiction and non-fiction, but I stick to my age range, because the truth is, if I opened myself up to everything I’d definitely never catch up and I can’t take the anxiety. Right now I’m reading three non-fiction books and listening to a fourth as an audio download, there just isn’t a lot of time for HP or Judy Bloom or any other kid friendly title. But I do have time to make fun of you should you decide to waken the book snob.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever been so right that it felt like punishment to be dismissed with a flimsy argument built on self-delusion? Ever attempted to engage another cerebrally only to realize they've preemptively judged a book by it's cover?

    This is my wish for your. Upon your entrance to the 'other side', your fist assignment will be to sit, read, and then write a lengthy detailed persuasion paper with various and in-depth anecdotes as to why, indeed, adults have MORE to benefit from the childrens literature by JK Rowlings. (BTW, watching the movies is irrelevant, irregardless :) of your opinion of the books. That should also be addressed in your dissertation; actually encouraging potential readers to avoid the movies at least until they've read the entire series is preferable) Only upon completion will you be allowed to visit the bar. I will be waiting with a smirk and a top-shelf martini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you, Esterline. I don't care for the fantasy genre (Lord of the Rings didn't grab me) and the Harry Potter movies, while not sheer torture, did nothing special for me. I just don't care to immerse myself in this magical other world. There are so many good books I need to get to. I was an English major, but I still have not read an entire work of Joyce or Faulkner. I would like to read more Hemingway. There is some really good new nonfiction that several folks have recommended. I will skip Harry Potter. I have managed to skip American Idol and Lost without feeling any nagging emptiness!

    ReplyDelete