Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 355: What was Frost's LIne, Nothing Gold Can Stay?

It was one of those surreal evenings. The weather, suddenly turned perfect, made driving in my convertible a welcome and soothing experience. Just before dusk the temperature was 76 and though the sun was not yet set there was a full moon, white and enormous, hanging low in the sky. Across from the moon was what they call a vanilla sky. The pastel streaks had a golden glow from the remaining sunlight giving the wisps and semi fluffs of clouds a delicious glow. So there I was, driving down the road, wind in my hair, beautiful evening weather, life was good. Yet the beauty I admired in the world at that moment was conspiring against someone else to make his night a lousy one.

In the midst of my revelry, I noticed a cop driving behind me. Within minutes he suddenly passed and sped ahead. Ha! Not even a possible speeding ticket would ruin my night. Then, just as I crested the hill I found out where he was in such a hurry to get to. Three cop cars with lights flashing were pulled over behind one lone civilian vehicle. Really, I thought to myself, it takes three to pull one guy over? That’s when I noticed the best part. The guy was black, sitting behind the wheel talking to two officers standing outside his door. If he’s so dangerous, why haven’t they ordered him out of the car?

Here’s the deal. This wasn’t some tricked out car with a bunch of tough looking guys in it. It was a beat up civic from probably 1997. The guy driving looked like he weighed less than me and he had who I am guessing is his girlfriend in the seat beside him. They were completely normal looking. No weird hairstyles, jewelry, prison face tats or anything else that might signal they could be bad news. I’m sitting at a stop light just beside them watching all this go down and thinking how annoying this must be for that couple to have such a beautiful evening ruined like this. They were so normal looking and that’s not to say that ordinary people can not and do not commit violent crimes or that all edgier looking types do, but I would never have pegged this guy as someone to watch out for.

What could he have possibly done to demand the attention of three cop cars and what looked to be five officers? They didn’t even appear to be in a hurry to get him out of the car, search him, cuff him, or whatever else they do. From my admittedly very limited perspective, this guy got pulled over for a traffic stop and because he was black they called for back-up. Of course I have no actual idea what happened or why he was pulled over, but I do know that I have seen this scene play out more than once and never with a white guy behind the wheel.

Life can be so beautiful and perfect and everything can seem to be a little brighter and happier and then in a moment your whole outlook is thrown on its head. Maybe this guy was a drug dealer who stole that car and the girl was his hooker and they were carrying smack and guns and who knows what else, but maybe we’re just a bunch of assholes who read too much into cultural differences and not enough into common sense. I just wanted one night’s drive to be as perfect as it felt, and instead the ugliness of real life came crashing in on my perfection. I hope that guy was a criminal, because I’d hate to think he and his girl missed that moon and beautiful vanilla sky because they were being hassled by some ignorant and misdirected power-hungry authority figures.

2 comments:

  1. I have to comment on this- When a cop pulls someone over for speeding they always run the plates before they even get out of the car.
    After they do that if there is a warrant or the vehicle is stolen or any other red flag then they will call for backup. Cops have a tough job and have to make decicions on situations that can very well effect whether they will see their family that night. If there is a warrant for a dude then call freakin backup. Don't judge a book by its cover goes both ways.

    It's wrong to make the assumption that because he is white or black or yellow that backup would be called but it is also wrong for people to assume that because he is black that is why all the backup.

    I loved your first paragragh about the beauty of the night. How can you not believe in a God when you see the beauty of our world? Plagued in sin I would agree but amazing also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girls, I too enjoyed the night. But, as I chat with my cop neighbor friend this morning on my deck, I asked him. He said that IF there had been anything to turn up when they ran the plates, he would have been sitting in the COP car, not his own. If they have an indication that there is a situation, they remove him from 'danger' immediately.

    It's possible that you witnessed a criminal on his way to jail. But DWB does happen all the time. I've been pulled over for all sorts of things..even a possible DUI (I was legal)..I've got an Indiana DL in WV, and I NEVER can find my insurance. I've had expired plates, the wrong registration and even the wrong car. It's never taken 5 cops to handle me. BUT I know many 'river' people here who are constantly targeted, harrassed, ticketed and arrested because the cops know they can get away with it, and they aren't married to the hospital CEO nor are they neighbors with the Chief. In this town, it's drop a name, or get the hell out of the car and meet my friends. Hope you've got a cell phone, because you are going to be late.

    Life isn't fair. But there are a lot of cops who get away with horrible abuse of power. Did you read the article about the illegal immigrant who 'reported the 'bad' cop, and is being deported for his efforts? Read yesterdays news on that.

    ReplyDelete