Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day 30: My One Month Anniversary & Thank You!!!


Today marks the end of the first month of a 12 month journey to find out who I am through writing and self-discovery. This blog is my way holding myself accountable, something I insist others in my life do as well. I want to use today's blog to thank those of you that have come along with me on this ride I am taking. It means a lot to know that others care enough to want to read it, let alone take the time to tell me that they like it or that it resonates with them. Writing for me, is a labor of love, but it takes discipline to write everyday. Not until this blog did I find the kind of structure and work ethic necessary to actually sit down and write on a daily basis. So far, I have not finished that novel that's been kicking around in my head for years, but I hope when I do you will all want to sign on for that ride.

I have learned a lot since beginning this blog, including that I have things to say that others may and may not want to hear. I've reconnected with friends from the past that I didn't really know that well, but am so happy to have back in my life. I've also picked up a few strangers, which is fun. If you're reading this feel free to drop me a note or comment on a blog. I would love the opportunity to hear what you're thinking. The same is true for all of you who read this. Please join the community and become a "follower." You will automatically get a link to the blog each day, so that when I get lazy or FB stops being cool you will still know I'm writing even without my FB reminders.

Coming up with new topics to write about is actually pretty easy, but I don't always feel writing about a specific one on a given day. Lots of blogs are started, then left midway, to be picked later. I try to write about things that are of interest to me, and that might be entertaining to others. Staying true to my original goal of revealing truths about myself, however, is getting more difficult. A friend mentioned that it could get boring and I agree, so in the next few weeks I am going to start tweaking my blog a little. I want to find a way to blend my original purpose with more commentary and observational writing. Think David Sedaris meets a emotionally open crazy woman.

That's it for today. Just a quick blog and thank you to everyone who has taken time out of their busy days to read a little bit about mine. I do believe we are all interconnected and everything we put out there affects everyone else in some way. I am working to put out more positive than negative and sometimes venting and expressing helps to work through our issues. This blog might serve to help me both get my act together and hone my writing skills for a possible new career. So saddle up and join me and please do not be afraid to tell me what think, good or bad. Don't worry, I can take it and if I can't I'll just blog about you later!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats. You're writing is great, seems like you're on your way.

    And the hardest part of writing a novel is writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it seems that i'm having a particularly crap ass work day and decided to read for lunch. i'm pleased to have chosen this splendid material and certainly look forward to more. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've really inspired me with your blog. My biggest problem with following in your footsteps(as I think your blog will lead you into more professional writing which I would also like to do) is justifying the time it would take each day to do something--create something-- that is just for myself that has no extrinsic value.-- it doesn't qualify as part of my 'mothering' job, nor does it fit any job description that pays money. And without meeting those standards, I would feel that I'm just wasting my time, or even, God-forbid--indulging in narcissm. Just like when I started running, it took a long time before I considered myself a runner, there is a lot of writing that must go into becoming a writer--a lot that no one will ever see or for that matter care about. I've been kicking it around that when the kids go back to school in the fall, I would find some time and designate it to writing in hopes that "I'll become a writer". But that is laughable. I have a natural talent for writing, and always have, but I have not one creative writing class under my belt, nor any even vague ideas for a plot with which to create a story. My degree is in biology and chemistry education, so do I go back to school and take classes? Or can I skip the all the hard work and just become a 'reader', though that is right up there with 'tv watcher' as far as time invested. As far as blogging, I have way too large of a family, and far too big of a basket of dirty laundry (vodka in the closet, secret lesbian dreams, etc.) to blog a diary style commentary. My world is just not ready for that. So you've inspired me, I just don't know what to do with said inspiration. But good for you, anyway!

    ReplyDelete