Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 34: The Pilgrims Were Fascists Yo!

Today is July 4, Independence Day. Independence from what? From whom or what are we free and in what sense do we claim freedom? We may have fought for our independence as a nation, separate from the British, but are we not still tethered to the bigoted traditions and narrow-minded morals that we so desperately fought to sever? Yes, we have our own flag, our own dialects, our own slang, our own laws, but we kept a few things I wish we’d have shrugged off as thoroughly as we did proper speech.

The husband will tell you that I am not a patriot. Kind of funny given that he has dedicated the last 18 years of his life to defending our nation. I am more of a humanist. I believe in the rights of all people, regardless of race, creed, stature, class, gender and any other label with which one can be saddled. I do appreciate that I live in a country that allows me to state my beliefs, while simultaneously denouncing it’s foundation. I get the irony, but I am also widely traveled and know there are more than a few other places I could live and still enjoy full use of my big mouth and opinions.

America is a teenager. We are arrogant and believe that we have all the answers. Our willful behavior around the globe shows us to be not the Superpower we claim, but a spoiled, belligerent child out to prove itself. We pick fights, we insist on butting into issues in which we have no business being a major player. We do not know what is best for the world. We barely make any effort to familiarize ourselves with other cultures. In a nation that is home to such a diverse population, we barely scratch the surface of understanding what diversity means.

We are a prejudiced nation. We opened our borders to people from religions and culture the world over, and yet expect them to speak English, to dress like us, to assimilate. Not everyone in the world wants to be a melting pot. As mutt of uncertain origins, I wish I had a culture to call my own. That ethnic heritage is a gift, just as your religious beliefs are deeply held, so too should be our commitment to welcoming the very diversity this nation came to represent so many years ago. Why is it we defend the right of freedom to choose only so long as those choices do not offend us?

Wear whatever attire you like, worship or don’t worship, speak the language of your people, love whomever you feel drawn to. What right do we have to regulate these things? The pilgrims that came to America were fleeing religious oppression and then came here not to build a free society, but to create a society that thought just like they did. In a way, I suppose, our very prejudice is more American than any of our supposed freedoms. We were born a nation of ignorance and intolerance and we have yet to shake off the shackles that constricted the religious practices that once brought us here.

Instead, we enslaved the native people of this land, my ancestors on my biological Father’s side. We abducted and enslaved Africans. We imprisoned Asians. We cast out homosexuals. We are the nation we were born to be and we have no one to blame but ourselves. My rights are not threatened because someone who thinks, acts, or looks differently has the same rights. Where is our freedom to be who we believe ourselves to be. Why must I feel like I have just murdered a baby every time I state that I do not believe in a God. Why can two people who love one another and want to spend their lives together not have that choice simply because their bodies do not look different enough to please the bigots. Why is one person more of a threat because of the color of his skin or manner of dress?

If America were truly as great as she could be given our tremendous influence and resources we would use that power for more good. We would lead by example, revealing a path of tolerance and acceptance, a willingness to spend money and energy to help the downtrodden and not just the resource heavy. Why do we not have a more significant presence in Africa which has a long history of racism, oppression, disease, and genocide? Because what does a place like the Sudan have to offer us? Why should we care if poor people or gay people or uneducated people are suffering? What could they add to our coffers besides more trouble and debt? So if this nation is truly powerful and great, where is the greatness in only helping those that can help us back?

Now before you all start lashing out at me, I will also point out that Americans are capable of great kindness and generosity. The people here are good for the most part and most who are not, err out of fear and ignorance. Very few among us are truly evil, even when we do evil things. As a country, we are capable of great acts. The Bill of Rights, for instance, is a wonderful example of the kind of benevolence and tolerance for which our nation is capable. We offer opportunity and resources unmatched by most nations around the globe. I love our freedoms, I love our idealism, and I love our hope. I just happen not to be blind to the fact that we are also capable of great ugliness and hate.

We may be free from the rule of another government, but we still have not quite learned how to free ourselves from prejudice. I want to be proud to be an American, but right now I’m more proud of what we’re capable of, than what we actually are. I think we will get there. Today we are mired in the stages of puberty and it’s bound to be a little awkward. One day maybe we will mature and learn to use our power and resources more for good. Our influence will come from a more humble and helpful place. I long for that America, because when she grows up, I will be proud and we will truly be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment