Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day 55: Fun Times Come in Stupid Packages

I was hanging out with some friends tonight, female friends as a matter of fact, when one of them took a call that was apparently an old fashioned prank. I didn't realize people still made prank phone calls, let alone to cell phones. The guys on the other end of the line seemed to very much enjoy their funny little joke, while we were more confused than anything. In reality, I never understood things like prank calls. I just wasn't a fun, happy-go-lucky type even as a kid. So at 36 am I finally coming around to what it means to have fun?

I spent this afternoon and evening laughing and sharing stories with friends, I talked to a prank caller twice on two different phones, and I drank wine and ate pizza without counting calories. I had a really good day and I didn't once refresh my lipgloss or look in the mirror. I didn't suck in my stomach or monitor what I said, I just had fun and gave myself permission to relax. Most people lose a little of their inner child as they age, but mine seems to get stronger. In fact, at this point I'm not sure I could shake my inner toddler if I wanted to.

I have a sense of humor akin to a ten year-old, but it is tempered by my exterior shell of cynicism and curmudgeon. Now that I am older, I am finally starting to care less about what people think and worry more about getting what I want. Turns out that what I want is not a successful career, good health, or long personal friendships. Nope, what I want is to talk to prank callers and try to beat them at their own game. Hopefully I'm just living out what I've missed over the years. From what I can tell, having fun is . . . well, fun.

1 comment:

  1. I think getting older gives us the wisdom that sometimes fun surprises us--you can't plan to have fun. A girls night out can actually turn into a nightmare if the stars and the conversation doesn't click. Abort, and go home and have fun reading some mindless chick lit, or so mind-blowing poetry. Fun requires spontenaety, low expectations and sometimes some serious flexibility. Like when my little girls and I do round offs and back bends in the front yard, What do the neighbors think, and why should I care? Or if I see an especially obnoxious dog shirt with a phrase like pampered pooch, I pick it up for my serious and thoughtful 7 year old lab, and take her picture. Have you ever seen a dog look embarrassed? That is funny. Watching her get it off, take it outside, kill it and bury it is a SHOW! As I get older, fun is more simple. Watching a dumb movie with my kids, but listening to them piss themselves with laughter is fun. Sex with the husband can be fun, especially if I actually am able to relax and let go. Even scrubbing the toilet with a toothbrush is oddly relaxing. But I think all of these examples support your theory that fun is only had when you let go and just be WHO you are. Stop worry about how other's percieve you--too old for that, too young for that--too fat for that skirt, too saggy for that v-neck. Fun happens from the inside out. Everytime. And I still giggle at the number 69. It's FUNNY. I don't want to do the 69 anymore--that's gross with saggy balls and saggy tits, but the mere attempt with someone you love and trust is also funny. I also enjoy the TWSS FB page. Juvenile humor? Yep, I can still tap into that. And if judging me for that is fun for you, then GO FOR IT! Do it. Live and love.

    ReplyDelete